Urban Health & Fitness Clubs
Membership Terms & Conditions Updated 2021
Please take time to read the terms and conditions before committing to membership as you will be bound by them.
General membership rules:
- Adult membership is for individuals at least 17 years old.
- It is a member’s responsibility to inform Urban Health & Fitness of any changes to their personal details including address and contact details.
- Members must swipe their membership card on the card reader upon every entry to the club.
- Members must wear clothing and footwear that is suitable for exercising. Due to the nature of some classes, footwear may not be needed at the discretion of the instructor.
- Members will conduct themselves in a quiet and well-mannered fashion whilst in the facility.
- No consumption of alcohol or recreational drugs is allowed in the facility.
- Management reserves the right to amend class times and instructors without prior notice.
- Equipment must be wiped down after use.*For up-to-date information regarding our Covid procedures and guidelines please click here*
- Please pre-book classes and arrive on time. The instructor reserves the right to decline members joining more than 5 minutes after the class has started.
Terms & Conditions
- All members must comply with these rules which are incorporated into a member’s contract to maintain the standards of our facility and enable members to get full benefit from their membership. Any person that does not comply with these rules may be ejected, denied access or have their membership terminated by the management of Urban Health & Fitness Ltd.
- Your choice of membership category on joining will determine the fees you pay. The membership application form sets out the membership and deposit fees payable when you join Urban Health & Fitness. The membership fee and any other fees are payable in advance by each member (irrespective of actual use of the facility) either by cash/debit/credit card or direct debit agreement.
- We reserve the right to refuse membership.
- We reserve the right to make reasonable amendments to these rules at any time. Reasonable notice will be given by placing new rules within the reception desk of Urban Health & Fitness.
- A membership card will be issued to each new member when they join the club. We reserve the right to apply a reasonable fee for the replacement of lost, stolen or damaged cards.
- Each member must swipe their card for security verification and fire safety when entering the building. Any member that has forgotten their membership card may be asked for proof of identification.
- Members will be refused entry if outstanding payment issues are not settled and payments outstanding after 30 days becoming due are liable for immediate recovery by lawful means.
- Membership is personal to the member and may not be assigned, transferred or sold to other people or third parties.
- No member must lend their membership card to anyone else. Failure to comply with this rule will result in termination of membership.
- Membership can only be suspended in exceptional circumstances such as injury or ill health. The management (at its sole discretion) may agree to suspend membership with documented medical evidence to a maximum of 6 months.
- Membership payments are made via debit card transactions set out on their contract. Failure for Urban Health & Fitness to make payment, management are able to make up to 3 further attempts to receive the payments before freezing the membership.
- Cancellation of membership: written cancellation request must be received within the first 15 days of your final month membership contract to avoid a further month being billed.
- We offer a 10 day ‘cooling off’ period whereby members can reverse their membership as long as the membership has not been used. Refunds Policy All fees for membership and Pay as you go (PAYG) are non-refundable.
- Fees paid for Physiotherapy, Chiropractic, Osteopathic, and Massage Therapy are refundable subject to the client/member canceling their appointment 48 hours before their set date and time.
- Clinic appointments booked and subsequently not attended (as part of membership package) will be void for the remainder of the terms of the contract length.
- Fees and any refunds policy paid to self-employed personal trainers are exempt from the terms and conditions of Urban Health & Fitness Ltd as clients agree an individual agreement with the instructor.
- Opening times will vary during the year; any notices will be displayed accordingly.
- You must ensure you finish your workout, showering or getting ready with sufficient time before the closure of the facility.
- You may not bring pets into the facility (other than guide dogs).
- Without prior permission (which may be refused) you may not take any photographs or video recordings of you, other people or the facility.
- We reserve the right to use individuals, group photographs or movies for press and promotional purposes. Where possible we will obtain a signed consent form before using any material.
- We reserve the right to show potential members and other individuals the facility on a trial basis.
- You must use the entrance to the facility when entering and exiting the premises.
- You must not impede, interfere or damage the fire doors and exit.
- You must return all weights/equipment back to the appropriate storage area that is resides and not leaving any equipment in areas whereby people will trip or cause injury.
- If you have any doubts about your fitness or your capability to undertake physical exercise we strongly recommend that you take independent medical advice before undertaking any or continuing to take exercise. You agree to stop using our facility and equipment and inform us if your health changes and seek medical advice.
- You must not use the club if you are suffering from any infection or contagious illness.
- We strongly recommend that you participate in our induction and exercise prescription programme offered to every member upon joining before commencing use of our facility.
- You are responsible for ensuring you correctly operate or use any facility and/or equipment (including adjusting levels and settings). You must consult our staff before use if you are in any doubt. Some areas are unsupervised, and we do not accept liability for any harm or injury to you whilst using these areas.
- You must complete a Pre-Activity Questionnaire before using any fitness facilities.
- You should use the equipment to the level of your competence. Seek instructions before using unfamiliar equipment.
- Appropriate clean exercise clothing and footwear must be worn whilst exercising.
- Please be courteous to other members when using equipment during busy periods.
- You are asked to wipe down the fitness/exercise equipment after use. *See our Covid procedures here*
- You may not use the equipment whilst under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs.
- You must ensure you arrive 5 minutes prior to any induction, personal training session or health clinic appointment. We reserve the right to cancel, rebook and charge for appointments that have failed to be kept. Classes
- You must pre-book classes to ensure participation in them. You can participate in an unfilled class at the last moment.
- The class timetable and instructors are subject to change without notice.
- You are requested to arrive in good time. Participation into the class is denied to anyone arriving more than five (5) minutes late.
- If the instructor deems the class to be overcrowded for health and safety reasons, the instructor may restrict the number of attendees into the class.
- If your manner in the class is not in keeping with the spirit of the facility or jeopardises the safety or enjoyment of others, the instructor may ask you to leave the class.
- Personal trainers (PT) operate in our clubs on a self-employed basis. Any service they provide to you constitutes a contract between the PT and you rather than us. We accept no responsibility for breach of contract or negligence caused by a PT.
- You must conduct yourself in a well-mannered fashion that does not disturb, impair or restrict the enjoyment of other members. This includes using no foul, loud or abusive language to members or staff. You may not molest, harass or threaten other members or staff. Failure to comply with these rules will result in immediate termination of membership and possibly the involvement of the police authorities.
- You may not bring any illegal drugs into the facility.
- You must not smoke in the facility, bring alcohol or be intoxicated in the facility.
- Only one member is allowed in the shower cubicle at a time. Guest & Visitors • Members may bring guests (Aged 17 and above) upon payment of (1) guest fee (2) relevant identification for proof of age if relevant.
- Members are responsible for the guest’s conduct and behaviour whilst in the studio. The member may not leave the facility before their guest’s departure.
- Lockers are provided for the purposes of keeping gym kit, toiletries and related clothing that may be worn in the facility. Urban Health & Fitness is not liable for any items that are stolen or misplaced within the lockers. Lockers are provided on a first come first basis.
- Storage of items in the locker overnight is not permitted and as such will be cleared every evening during lock up.
- We reserve the right to open and search lockers if we believe, on reasonable grounds, that they contain prohibited items.
- You must read the health and safety notice and comply with their recommendations. Guest Passes/ Free day trials
- You will be required to complete a registration form and medical par Q form. • No other services, products or cash alternatives available.
- As part of registration, a photo will be taken for I.D records.
- Club rules apply to individuals using guest and class passes. Disclaimers We reserve the right to make minor changes or modifications to our club rules or these terms and conditions without notice in writing to you. All varied club rules or terms of this contract will be displayed at our club’s website. Neither Urban Health & Fitness Ltd nor its employees/agents of the facility shall be liable for any loss, damage or theft of personal property belonging to the members, or any guest of the member, occurring at the gym premises. Neither Urban Health & Fitness Ltd nor its employees/agents shall be responsible for any injury occurring upon the gym premises as a result of the misuse of the facilities and or equipment provided by the health and fitness studio. Members and guests who are in any doubt as to their physical fitness should seek medical advice before training.
Our commitment to you
- We will respect your personal decision about the exercise you carry out.
- We will ensure reasonable effort to make sure that our equipment and facilities are in a safe condition.
- Our staff are qualified to the fitness industry standards as set out by the register of exercise professionals (REPS), the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) and other professional bodies.
Your commitment to us
- You shall not exercise beyond your abilities and let us know of any changes to your health.
- Make aware of the rules and regulations of the club.
- That you enjoy the facilities and services available to you and to provide any feedback to improve our experience for you.
This policy has been updated and effective from April 2020.
The personal data we collect We may collect the following personal information as a requirement for using our facility and creating a customer account with ourselves: • name • contact information including email address • demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests • billing information such as card details • other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers.
All personal data is gathered and managed under our own data protection policy. What we do with the information we gather We require this information to allow enable you to use the services we offer at Urban. It also helps us understand your needs and provide you with a better service and particularly;
- Creating an online membership account.
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use your contact details to inform you of changes that may affect your participation at Urban. This can include changes to the timetable, classes, opening hours etc.
- We may periodically send promotional email about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests. During your registration, you have the option to not accept promotional emails about new classes or services at Urban.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Visitors to Our website
We use a third-party service Umbraco CMS to host our website and to publish Our blog. Umbraco is GDPR compliant as of version 7.9 https://umbraco.com/blog/umbraco-and-gdpr/. We use standard analytics to collect anonymous information about users' activity on the site, for example, the number of users viewing pages on the site, to monitor and report on the effectiveness of the site and help us improve it.
When someone visits www.urbanhealthfitness.com we use a third-party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way that does not identify anyone. We do not make and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website. If we do want to collect personally identifiable information through our website, we will be upfront about this. We will make it clear when we collect personal information and will explain what we intend to do with it
A cookie is a small file that asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes, and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences. We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system. Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website. Links to other websites Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Emails & Updates
We use a third-party provider, Zoho to deliver our emails. Emails are used to inform members about changes to club operations such as class timetables, opening hours, and membership-related matters. Equally, we will at times email out the latest updates or services we are offering. We gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry standard technologies including clear gifs to help us monitor and improve this service.
People who contact us via social media
We use Facebook to manage our social media interactions. If you send us a private or direct message via social media, the message will be managed by our management team and not shared with any other staff or organisations.
People who email Us
We will also monitor any emails sent to us, including file attachments, for viruses or malicious software. Please be aware that you have a responsibility to ensure that any email you send is within the bounds of the law.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at email@example.com.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
Access to Personal Information
Under the data Protection Act 1998, you have rights as an individual which you can exercise in relation to the information we hold about you. Urban Health & Fitness Ltd tries to be as open as it can be in terms of giving people access to their personal information. Individuals can find out if we hold any personal information by making a ‘subject access request’ under the Data Protection Act 1998.
If we do hold information about you we will:
- give you a description of it;
- tell you why we are holding it;
- tell you who it could be disclosed to; and
- let you have a copy of the information in an intelligible form.
To make a request to Urban Health & Fitness Ltd for any personal information we may hold you need to put the request in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mark the email as subject access request, attention of Manoj Patel, data control officer. Any data requests will be dealt with the data controller and provided free of charge within 30 days of written request.
Job applications, CV’s and staff we employ
During the recruitment of any new staff, we will only handle the relevant personal information for the purpose of progressing your application or to fulfill legal or regulatory requirements if necessary. We will not share any of the information you provide during the recruitment process with any third parties for marketing purposes or store any of your information outside of the European Economic Area. The information you provide will be held securely by us and/or our data processors whether the information is in electronic or physical format. Prospective employees - we will use the other information you provide to assess your suitability for the role you have applied for. We are required to confirm the identity of our staff, their right to work in the United Kingdom, and seek assurance as to their trustworthiness, integrity, and reliability. You will therefore be required to provide:
- Proof of your identity – you will be asked to attend our office with original documents, we will take copies.
- Proof of your qualifications and necessary insurance – you will be asked to attend our office with original documents, we will take copies.
- You will be asked to complete a criminal records declaration to declare any unspent convictions.
- We will provide your email address
- We will contact your referees, using the details you provide in your application, directly to obtain references
- If we make a final offer, we will also ask you for the following: Bank details – to process salary payments and emergency contact details.
If you are successful, the information you provide during the application process will be retained by us as part of your employee file for the duration of your employment plus 6 years following the end of your employment. This includes your criminal records declaration, fitness to work, records of any security checks and references. If you are unsuccessful at any stage of the process, the information you have provided until that point will be retained for 6 months from the closure of the campaign.
Disclosure of personal information
In many circumstances, we will not disclose personal data without consent. However, when we investigate a complaint, for example, we will need to share personal information with the organisation concerned and with other relevant bodies.
This can include:
- Agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information;
- Circumstances where we can pass on personal data without consent for example, to prevent and detect crime and to produce anonymised statistics;
- Our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete personal data; and 4. How we check that the information we hold is accurate and up to date.
Complaints or Queries
Urban Health & Fitness Ltd tries to meet the highest standards when collecting and using personal information. For this reason, we take any complaints we receive about this very seriously. We encourage people to bring it to our attention if they think that our collection or use of information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate.
We would also welcome any suggestions for improving our procedures. If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
How to contact Us
Urban Health & Fitness 71a High Street Christchurch BH23 1AS